maandag 13 januari 2014

Gravitating into communal living at the Tricoops

Time for an update. I am not going to tell you what I have been up to, but believe me it’s been a lot (alright then, in bird’s eye view: sitting in on 15 classes in my first week of school, cooking and shopping for a family of 16+, exploring as much as I could of the 7300 acre (30 km2) campus on my flashy new road bike, wandering into rooms and kitchens to get to know dozens of new people, sharing my room with two other new girls and bonding over our rookie-ness, visiting a dozen new cafes and restaurants, learning to juggle, watching squirrels, and many first-times: the first garden party, the first egg from our own chickens, my first party at the Tricoops, my first house- and Tricoops meeting, etc etc). But I wasn’t going to tell you about this. Instead, let me tell you what it means to me.

The UC Davis quad, the center of campus

Our kitchen

Learning to juggle

Before I left, when I talked to people who had gone on exchange, many of them spoke of it as the best time of their life. It intimidated me, and I could only hope that my time here would be half as good as what those people made theirs out to be. But now I’m here, and I can honestly say that I, too, am having the time of my life, and I think I know why.

It’s got to do with that blank slate feeling, the freedom that comes with it, and the temporality of this life here.

Novelty
This novelty of everything here is the sensation that stands out most of everything. I’ve felt it many times now, in different forms. I felt it when I saw land come into sight below me on my way here, when I emerged from underground with the train in San Francisco, on New Year’s Eve when I stood there with empty hands, blissfully, when I walked onto campus a week and a half ago, into an uncharted world that I knew was going to steal my heart, and I see it every day, in everyone’s eyes here.  My empty gaze sees so much more than I would see on familiar terrain. I feel like a baby, and it’s such a delight to drink in the new sunlight, all the colors, new words and gestures, and all those beautiful faces (did you take a proper look at the humans around you today, they are so beautiful!).

And apart from their novelty, these people are so incredible because of they are. Every day I’m coming home to a community of over 40 people that live here, with always a few extra bumming around, that hang out on the porch, hula hoop in the sun to blaring hip hop beats, study around the dining table, congregate in the kitchen, working in the garden… And they just open up to me, welcome me in, love me as I come, without even knowing me. Can you believe that I am just falling head over heels in love with this new world? I am mad in love with over 15 people already, and all I want is dive into all this, no reservations. I have nothing to lose, because I came in clean and empty, a blank slate, empty hands, open eyes.

Our house, the Davis Student Coop

Freedom
But this time, I am conscious of the life emerging around me, unlike the life I grew into at home. And I am so ready for it this time. I feel such freedom. I feel strong, independent and fully capable of taking this life of mine in my own hands and start steering it. And I can do so unbound by the relations and commitments and claims on my time and energy of those at home, however much I love them and want them all to be there when I get back, I am now free to take this life wherever, and feels so GOOD. All the credits for that go to Spencer, for his trust in me and our strong relationship, to my mom, who has the deepest understanding one could ever ask for of the necessity and bliss of freedom for this venture, my dad, who has come to believe in my autonomy, and all their big hearts.

My roommates, also both new, talk of being overwhelmed by it all. I think I’m in a better position: to me, not only this crazy-ass living environment is new, but this whole continent, everything here is entirely new to me. I had expected nothing less than being completely overwhelmed, and so I was ready for the wave to hit me. What’s more, I can make myself fully available to it. I have no other friendships here that demand maintenance, so I have the freedom to be a full part of all this whenever I want to, and I can also fully withdraw if I need some alone time. But apart from being ready and available for it, I actively seek it out. I am here, eagerly taking in all the new impressions and people and experiences that wash over me, and I just want more more more of it, relishing every second of it.

Our bedroom. My bed in the left bottom corner

Temporality
The fact that I can’t get enough of it, and that it doesn’t seem to tire or overwhelm me too much, is thanks to that other special lining to this big adventure. The horizon that was always going to be perpetually in sight. I am at any point so aware of the transience of my time here. And while it could make me sad and unwilling to commit, instead it makes all this novelty so vivid, that I cannot think of a time where I felt more alive. You see I am a thinker, and as such a regular victim to being yanked right out of life, and looking at it from the sidelines. Not here. Never have I felt such an integral, vibrant part of life. And that in such a sunny, powerful, colorful existence. I am here, strong and free, to absolutely maximize my time here, dive into it deeper than I ever have before, because I have nothing to lose, everything to gain, and the time is now.

And beside all this, I was born for communal living. I have never been in a better place and a better fit. I’m very very happy here.

Stephanie

My first garden party

Eating together

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten